Pages

goggle search

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Homemade Bay Rum Aftershave and Astringent

This is absolutely Divine and its just not for men.  This aromatic tonic will tighten the pours and reduce acne.  This is great for someone with an oily complexion.  I have rosacea and have to be very careful about what I put on my face. This astringent didn't redden or irritate my delicate skin.  My son even commented that it looked less red.  Alex uses it as well, he is starting the pre-teen body changes. And having him help prepare his own skin care makes him proud to take care of his body.
 
Recipe

ALLOT of bay leaves (I got a big bag enough for three for          $.88 at my farmers market.)
1 T Allspice ground or grated (More if you like)
1 T Whole Cloves
1 T Ginger grated
Rum (I used Captain Morgans Spiced Rum)


Pack a quart canning jar with bay leaves living about an inch space at the top. 
Add the spices you can change it up hear using more of your favorites.
Fill Jar with Rum a fifth is too small you will have to use a larger bottle. 
Cover tightly and let sit for 4 weeks, shaking your jar every now and then for good measure.

Strain out the herbs and rebottle.  If it doesn't smell like bay enough you can add one or two drops of bay essential oil.  It seems to do better if you can get fresh bay leaves but as you can see I used dry, and it still smelled good enough to eat.

This would make a great gift.  Fill a basket with handmade washcloths and homemade bath salts with a jar of this...it would be just delicious. 

1 comment:

Little House On The Mesa said...

This is great! I'm always stumped on gifts for men. I'll bookmark this one for sure.