Pages

About Me

My Photo

I am a work from home, home schooling Mom who loves her Kids...yep, I think my kids are great. You will find me: Knitting, cross stitch, embroidery and working with felt are things I enjoy for fun. I also love to decorate and find deep satisfaction in decorating my home with great finds and my handmade items.  Gardening is one of my great loves, it like decorating outside!

goggle search

Friday, October 8, 2010

Pumpkin Pattern

Squashed Pumpkin Pattern
This was really fun to make and fast.  It is a gathered style pattern that makes ridges all on its own as long as you don't over-stuff it.

Using double pointed needles: I use five size 4

Cast on 4 stitches

Work in I-Cord technique increasing in each stitch. You should have 8 stitches.

Divide these up between four needles
 
Knit all Rows

Increase in each stitch.  You should have 16 stitches.

Continue increasing until you have 64 stitches, 16 per needle.

Knit 4 rows

Next row increase in every other stitch.  You should have 96 stitches, 24 per needle.

Knit 12 rows.

In the next row Knit 4 Knit 2 stitches together to end of row.  You should have 80 stitches, 20 per needle.

Knit 1 row.

Knit 3 Knit 2 stitches together to end of row.  You should have 64 stitches, 16 per needle.

Knit 1 row.

Knit 2 Knit 2 stitches together to end of row.  You should have 48 stitches, 12 per needle.

It should start looking round


Knit 1 Knit 2 together to the end.  You should have 32 stitches, 8 per needle.

Knit 1 row.

At this point you should start stuffing your pumpkin.  Loosen the stuffing up into long strips and crisscross two pieces and stuff into pumpkin with tails hanging out.  Doing it this way will keep it from being lumpy.  Do not over-stuff or you wont get the gathered ridge look.
Knit 2 together to the end of row.  You should have 16 stitches left, 4 per needle.

Knit 2 rows.

Next row Knit 2 together to the end of row.  You should have 8 stitches left, 2 per needle.

At this point switch to using three needles.  You will have 3 stitches on two needles and 2 stitches on one.
Cut orange thread leaving a long tail.

Add brown for stem and knit 1 round.

Knit 2 together to end of row. You will have 4 stitches left.

Place all these on one needle and work in I-Cord technique for 5 rows.

Bind off and sew in brown thread.

With orange thread sew through the center of the pumpkin pulling it to squash the pumpkin.  Holding the pumpkin tight push the needle back through to secure.  Depending on where you put the needle back in, will give you different shaped pumpkin. So no two are alike.  tie of yarn and cut.


  The darker photo shows the ridges better so I thought I would include it. 

13 comments:

Bending Birches said...

what a sweet little pumpkin!!!

Kelly said...

I have never knitted with multiple needles. Thank you for the great tutorial. I will try it out and see if I manage! The pumpkins look so sweet.

Wabi-Sabi Wanderings said...

A darling pumpkin! So darling that I may just work up the guts to give it a try myself. Thank you for sharing :-)

Robert said...

is it possible to use circular needles?

lisa

Forest-Dweller said...

You can use circular needles but you would have to start with two double pointed to do the I-cord start. Then use the magic loop method. You can find a tutorial for the magic loop on the web.

superbookworm said...

This is too cute!! Its so real looking!

momto5 said...

yeah! pumpkins. i love it.

Rachel Garner said...

awesome! I am going to try and knit this guy up! Thank you~

steph said...

adorable!

Brigi said...

cute :)

Julia said...

How clever! And a lovely looking pumpkin! Lovely to find your blog through yarnalong! http://www.justonewip.blogspot.co.nz/

Mistea said...

Very cute punkin.
Love the way it looks all wonky like the real thing.
Enjoy decorating.

Carrie Duvall said...

Very fun, I just adore pumpkins! Have fun and send me your pictures.