Pages

goggle search

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Grandfather Clock

I am so excited!This news had to be shared...
Almost Ten years ago my father gave me this Grandfather clock.  I could never get it to run...so it became a big beautiful non running decoration reminding me of a lovely childhood.

Last week we cleaned the carpets and moved furniture around and something tall needed to go in a particular narrow spot. Alex suggested the Grandfather clock...goodness it would look good and maybe it would work again...So we did and it started ticking!  Ever so gently the weights and the pendulum where hung.  I checked it for plum and adjusted it to be perfectly level... Holding my breath I nudge the pendulum into motion and it started humming. After I set the hours and moon dial I gave it a good polish.

But the best part of this clock is a plaque that rest inside.  See this clock was an anniversary gift that my parents (Stepfather and Mother) bought for each other on their first anniversary.  They are the only couple I have ever know that were truly in love with each other.  As a child I would wake to the chiming of the clock and hear its warm ticking sound.  Down the hall my parents would be laughing and chatting in the kitchen as they did their Sunday morning ritual....turn on the coffee pot, go for a stroll, make breakfast together then just sit and soak up the warmth of each others company.  Their love for each other extended to me and my sister, my childhood was full of hugs, kisses and laughter.

It is a privilege to have this in my home.

No comments: